You can see the little brick border that we put around the peonies. The mulch that we used to put around them was from our big tree that was cut down 2 years ago and is really nice mulch. You can also see my oregano and my chives along the wall.
This is the other end. Our yard slops off and so we are putting up the railroad ties (only have one in place right now) to use as a retaining border and then we will finish leveling it out. You can't see it, but I have asparagus plants that have been producing for several years now. My neighbors bushes on the other side of the r.r. tie is starting to grow over them. Our property line actually goes another 2 ft. to the west but I didn't want to dig up her plants and they do look nice. So until we do a fence, which I plan to do, we won't worry about it to much.
Just another view. Jeff would like to replace the green awning with a wood covered patio. We would like to make it a bit bigger and build one that has a shingled roof with screens all around it. Then in the winter, cover up the screens with wood so that they don't get ruined and store all of the patio furniture and grill in there. Knowing Jeff, it will be beautiful.The Garden Story
Last Friday, I needed help weeding the garden to get it ready for what we want to do with it, and Scott graciously came over and helped. I wish I had taken pictures of the mounds of weeds that we dug up, but it was a trailer load! The weeds were thick and waist high. Scott then brought over his parents tiller and last Saturday, Jeff tilled up the ground. Jeff finally got Friday, the 20th, off and I think I worked him pretty hard. (I worked hard too!) The plan was to make a little border around the peonies and then put mulch around them. The rest of the garden we are leveling out, putting down landscaping fabric and then we are going to cover that with the wood chips that we can get from the green waste facility here in North Ogden. Then instead of having a big garden with a ton of weeding and more upkeep, we are planning a square foot garden. For those that don't know what this is, go to: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ to get more information. You can actually have a better garden with a bigger yield and it is less work, water and is much easier to care for. Now, since Jeff is such a hard worker and hardly at home, I don't know how much of it we will get done and there are many things at this point that I don't think we can plant, but it will be ready for next year. Right?! I will post updates so you can see our progress and I will be more likely to get it done.




No comments:
Post a Comment