Monday, October 27, 2008

On the road.......to Nauvoo

This is a statue of Joesph Smith and Brigham Young looking out of the Mississippi River at the end of the Trail of Hope. That is the road that lead the saints to the river and where they crossed over as they left Nauvoo. I have to tell you that I had a real sense of sadness and yet hope as I walked around. They made this city out of a swamp, became very self sufficient and were driven from their homes. It was raining while we were in Nauvoo and it was very chilly and all I could think of was the harsh conditions that they had to endure. My heart ached but the joy I feel because of my knowledge of this gospel. My heart overflows with gratitude and thanks for all the Prophet and the early saints went through that I might be able to enjoy the blessings that I do everyday and for the eternities to come.
The Trail Of Hope leading to the Mississippi River
The beginning of the Trail of Hope
The view at the end of the trail and where the saints crossed
Old Nauvoo




Waiting for Jeff to bring the car around after our session.
The Nauvoo Visitors Center. This garden has many statues and the flowers, although wet, were incredible.
This is statue of Hyrum and Joesph Smith as they were going off to Carthage. It is across from the front of the temple.
Same statue at night. I took this the night that we got there.
This is what we saw when we got into Nauvoo. What a glorious sight. The only thing that would have made this better was if my parents and the rest of my family were there to enjoy it too.
Amish wagons Going through a small town, I saw this house and instantly thought of Hunter.
Just a view from the car. The scenery was beautiful, until..........well until it got flat and dry.
The Cumberland Gap
Back side of Mount Vernon, Washington's home, facing the Potomac River. It was amazing.
View of the Potomac
Washington's Tomb
Front of Mount Vernon

No comments: